September 22, 2019 | Esplanade: Pictures at an Exhibition
Take a spectacular journey with Milwaukee’s Festival City Symphony and Music Director Carter Simmons as the 2019-2020 season opens with Modest Mussorgsky’s Russian masterpiece Pictures at an Exhibition , orchestrated by French composer Maurice Ravel. Paired with music of warmer climes and Spanish brilliance, this captivating concert will transport the listener on a musical Promenade.
- José Pablo Moncayo Huapango
- Enrique Granados Intermezzo from “Goyescas”
- Manuel de Falla El Sombrero de Tres Picos, #2Mussorgsky/arr. Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition
November 10, 2019 | Tales and Impressions
Festival City Symphony and Music Director Carter Simmons invite you to experience a concert of works by two Frenchmen who changed music forever. The mysterious, provocative, and beautiful music of Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel uses all the colors of the orchestra to depict stories and myths from the ballet and concert stage. From enchanted woods to an Empress’s Garden, this music will open a world of sound for you.
- Claude Debussy Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune Petite Suite
- Maurice Ravel Pavane pour une infante défunte Ma Mère l’Oye Ballet (Complete)
March 22, 2020 | Let Freedom Ring!
Join Festival City Symphony and Music Director Carter Simmons for a powerful concert featuring master composers and hometown connections. Milwaukee’s Pulitzer Prize-nominated composer and educator John Downey influenced many musical lives through his work at UWM and the Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra, including Wauwatosa native and world-renowned composer Michael Torke. Experience their compositions along with the intensely powerful music of the then Director of the Eastman School, Howard Hanson, and Paul Hindemith, whose music reflects the experiences of Saints John, Anthony, and Paul in resistance and victory over tyranny.
- John Downey Ode to Freedom
- Michael Torke December
- Howard Hanson Symphony #5, op. 43, ‘Sinfonia Sacra’
- Paul Hindemith Mathis der Maler
May 3, 2020 | Monuments
Festival City Symphony Principal Flute, Emma Koi, will perform Mozart’s beautiful and athletic first Flute Concertoon a program of monumental works by composers who provided the foundation to everything we enjoy at the symphony. Join Milwaukee’s Festival City Symphony led by Music Director Carter Simmons for the final Symphony Sunday of the season and a performance of music both exciting and consequential.
- Ludwig van Beethoven Coriolan Overture, op. 62
- A. Mozart Flute Concerto #1 in G, K. 313 Emma Koi, Flute
- Johannes Brahms Symphony #1 in C minor, op. 68